Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years 2008 09



Grand Celtic New Year tradition be damned. I could mumble sheepishly about the storm beginning and suspected difficulty with fire-starting. In fact, I had no intention of living up to last year’s New Years resolution of ushering in the coming year with a glorious old-world bon fire. The impending storm sealed the deal. Like most boys, I need a coconspirator to pursue in any seriousness a venture of such fine silliness. I still think that a monstrous bonfire roaring in the backyard is probably the most perfect way to celebrate the magical moment of transition from one year to the next. And it is magical – I know, I know, all of us who have spent way too much money, dressed to the nines, and built up expectations just to have them dashed at some pathetic New Year’s Eve celebration would question that assertion. There is undeniably, however, something powerful about the thirty-first of December. I think birthdays are too personal, inducing only selfish introspection at best. New Years, rapped in the universal, connecting us all, just has more gravitas, more guts, is more profound. And knowing how rare we modern humans feel anything it is just plain obvious – a fire, and a damned big one, harkening back time immemorial, just seems required – silly and juvenile, surely, none the less required.

New Years passed quietly in our house this year. Having just returned from the traditional Nova Scotia Christmas Journey and expecting the aforementioned big winter blow – wailing outside this January first morning – we elected to batten down the hatches. Following a great supper and a family movie, the adults watched their own movie and then the night wound down like numerous previous nights. At bed time while shutting-down the house, in the perfect quiet of your house at sleep, I found myself thinking of last year's Blog post about resolutions. Prompted by this unexpected chance remembrance and staring at the ceiling in our bedroom with Jen asleep on my shoulder the year just passed rolled by, documentary style, in my minds eye – I think it was Sir Richard Attenborough’s voice doing the narration.

How’d you do this year? I hope you look fondly back on ’08. Naïve I ain’t – so given that we all can’t have had a grand old time - I wish for you that you retain hope for the coming year. As mentioned in a previous post, we’ve had a mixed bag this year. If this was a ledger and I was balancing the books, in some weird life economic construct, I’m profitable beyond measure. Going bankrupt in the here and now, the more concrete world of money in and money out, but if the measure of life being led is not all related to cold hard numbers, then I’m pretty happy with this year. We are healthy, surrounded by loving and caring people, and have had a couple of great adventures. I did not get a big afro, I did not get fitter. And I didn’t freak out the neighbourhood with an uncontrollable fire in the back yard. I fell more deeply in love with my wife; I worked hard and marveled as my kids continued growing up just way too damn fast. I supported and was supported by family and friends. And I look forward to the coming year with hope a plenty. So for next year? Simple stuff really. Obvious stuff. Sentimental crap I guess. Be a good dad. Support Jen in everyway. Work hard. Make family proud. Oh, and to cycle from PEI to Kentville. No really. I am not going to issue another bold personal challenge to usher in 2010 with a fire. I am looking for a coconspirator if anyone out there is moved to start a new tradition. You know how to reach me if interested. Have a great ’09 and we send love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And a great 2009 to you! I was reading your blog and admired your resolutions....then noticed that they were the 2008 resolutions! But they were still good ones.

Best to you and your great family!