Saturday, December 1, 2007

Value Village Pilgrimage


We needed sour creme and whole wheat shells for fahitas and there seemed to be a wee break in the weather, so we went for it. We loaded the van, our lovely old van that everyone now has to enter through the front passenger door, with two reluctant older brothers and a very compliant little sister and off we went. But not just for a quick trip to the grocery store for a few supper items, oh no, we also had in mind a pilgrimage to the land of recycled clothes, the temple of rich folk sloughed accouterment.

I've never been a clothes horse, never overly concerned with my outward appearance, especially from a clothing point of view. Now admittedly I spent a good deal of my formative years in 501 jeans, with OP t-shirts and Chuck Taylor shoes. But, as an adult I worked in an uniform and out of that I wore what was practical or comfortable. My nice clothes were bought for me by my wife or admittedly and embarrassingly by my mother. Poor Jennifer, poor, poor Jennifer; forced into a life of relationship crime, sneaking clothing items into our house and relying on shopping excursions with her Mom or my Mom for the big pieces of her wardrobe. I don't remember when we discovered used clothing stores exactly, but a life changing experience it was.

Well at least for me. Maybe it was turning 39, or I just decided to dress a little less casually at work; heck, maybe it was that I became convinced that if I ever wore another pair of used khakis to work with a golf shirt I'd shoot myself, or more likely go to the nearest bell tower and get comfortable. Or maybe I didn't fall as far from the genetic fashion tree as I had originally thought. I come from good shopping stock. My maternal grandmother, my Mom and evidenced in perfect refinement in my sister, we are a family that can shop. Both of my grandfathers were snazzy dressers, both coal miners, that while not at work and out of the house were rarely seen without a coat and a hat. And I recently realized that if you go regularly enough to Value Village, and remain really picky you can pick-up just beautiful suits, blazers, shoes, ties and shirts. So now, most days of the week I go to work in a suit. And to further this new haberdashery-ic pursuit we make regular trips to VV, even more regular then usual.

I itch the second I walk into the store and a small part of me sees it as evidence that I've failed as a provider, but you can't fight facts. Jennifer and I have increased our wardrobes in fun and dressy ways over the last month at about a tenth of the retail price. It's good for the pocket book, it's good for the environment and it's fun. All hail Value Village and bless the fools that dump the entire contents of their closets on a regular basis. To that guy with a 34 inch waist and 44R jacket, and a love for 3 button suits - hey isn't that Italian thing your wearing so last season - time to donate.

Talk soon.

B

No comments: